A Tribute to Llew

It’s with profound sadness that we say farewell with a hard-working and unrivalled member of the Plaid Ifanc family, Llywelyn Williams, who died after e period of illness aged 26.

Llew’s contribution to the national cause was huge. He never sought praise for his work but Llew’s diligent work behind the scenes was a large part of Plaid Ifanc’s success. He was an effective member of Plaid Ifanc’s NEC a year before our re-launch in the Aberystwyth conference in 2015. As one of the event’s organisers in Neuadd Pantycelyn, Llew was responsible for making sure there was a screen available to watch the Wales v Italy game during our lunch break!

He was an integral part of Plaid Ifanc’s Aberystwyth branch during his college days. More recently, despite suffering from an illness at the time, Llew was active in launching a new Plaid Ifanc branch in Arfon as he believed strongly in a secure future for Plaid Cymru in Gwynedd.

In addition to being active with Plaid Ifanc, Llew worked tirelessly in other areas of the national movement. He was a member of Plaid Cymru’s branch in Llanrug, the Union for Welsh Students in Aberystwyth (UMCA), the student newspaper Yr Heriwr, and the Save Pantycelyn campaign. Llew was devoted to a number of causes and it was infrequent that he missed a meeting, conference or rally.

But politics wasn’t Llew’s only passion.

He followed football closely, especially the national team, through the good and bad days. Being able to follow Wales in the Euros in 2016 was a personal highlight to him and, despite his faithfulness to Plaid Ifanc events, he’d often slip out his phone in the middle of meetings to follow the score of the game he was supporting that day!

Llew has a particular interest in Irish culture, and he’d often catch the boat to the Green Island to enjoy and learn more about our Celtic cousins. He travelled over to celebrate the centenary of the Easter rebellion in 2016 and more recently to spend time discovering Ireland’s hidden corners with his friends. Alongside his friends he also went to Scotland to support the ‘Yes’ campaign during the independence referendum in 2014, and he flew the Catalan flag in his room during his years at university.

But more than anything we, the Plaid Ifanc family, will remember Llew for his unshakeable values.

Llew was a nationalist to the core, fighting for the Welsh language and culture at every possible opportunity and he had a great belief in social justice. He’d often present motions to Plaid Ifanc conferences about the importance of protecting the NHS from privatisation. His appetite for change was as apparent whilst campaigning at ground level – and Llew ready at every opportunity to put effort into delivering flyers or knocking on doors.

Llew’s vision of a thriving, independent and fair Wales meant that he had a natural political home at Plaid Ifanc, and we’ll all miss him greatly.

He battled against his illness with the same bravery, determination and energy as his political activism. He was stolen from us horrifically early, as he was only just emerging. His loss is a loss for Wales.

We honour him by battling harder to ensure that his dream of a free Wales is realised in our age.

Thank you for everything Llew. Cysga’n dawel, ffrind.

Filed under: Uncategorised